Want to know more about working with a disability? Want to hear from employers about how they support their staff?
After the success of last year the Careers service and Enabling service are repeating their Disability cafe event on the 26th April (1:30 – 3:30 in 45/2040)
The event is in response to student feedback that said they would like to have an opportunity to hear from people working with disabilities/Specific learning difficulties or long term health conditions, and to ask employers about their practices and how they support their staff.
We have invited various speakers to share their experiences of either working with a disability or supporting those with a disability at work.
Richard Cartwright – Senior Teaching Fellow – University of Southampton Business School – https://www.linkedin.com/in/richard-cartwright-6918252a/
Sam Tyler – History student and Campus Ambassador for Civil Service Fast stream and Summer Diversity Internship Programme – https://www.linkedin.com/in/styler1/
Gaynor Smith – Case Manager for Occupational Health at University Hospital Southampton
Dr Nasser Siabi OBE – CEO at Microlink PC – https://www.linkedin.com/in/nasser-siabi-obe-206b8318/
Bruce Hunt – Wessex Needs Assessor with Enabling Services
The speakers will give insight on the following themes:
- As an employee, experiences of working with a disability, specific learning difficulty or long term health condition
- Expectations of support in employment and the reality
- As an employer/support worker, identifying the support that is offered to employees in terms of reasonable adjustments, diversity schemes, pastoral support, access to work etc
- Experiences of supporting those with a disability, specific learning difficulty or long term health condition
- Advice to students entering employment
Following employer/employee presentations there will be a chance for Q and A with all representatives on the themes covered.
To wrap up we have an informal networking period with employer representatives, University Enabling and Careers staff.
For likely timings please see the programme below:
- 13:30 – 14:15: Employee/Employer Presentations – Richard Cartwright, Sam Tyler, Gaynor Smith, Dr Nasser Siabi OBE
- 14:15 – 14:40: Employee/Employer Q & A
- 14:40 – 14:55: Universities Enabling Department (Bruce Hunt) – Work Transition Meeting Overview (including Q and A)
- 14:55 – 15:30: Informal Networking Period: Employee/Employer representatives, University Enabling and Careers staff.
We very much hope you can join us for this event. To book your place please go to: https://mycareer.soton.ac.uk/events/home.html?execution=e1s7 (you can log in with your student ID and password)
If you have any additional requirements or specific adjustments please let us know on 02380 593501 so we can make provision before the event. Thank you.